How to Fax with Google Docs and Google Drive
Wednesday, June 17, 2020
If you Google “Can you fax with Google Drive?” you’ll receive the answer, “No, Google Drive does not support faxing.” So, what happens when some of the more than 800 million daily Google Drive users need to know how to fax with Google Docs?
The answer is to use an online fax service such as eFax that can work with Google Drive. You can read many eFax reviews on why they are one of the best online fax services to work with. Once you sign up for an online fax service, you have three main methods available to fax from Google Docs: you can use Gmail, you can employ the mobile app, and you can utilize eFax Messenger, the desktop app. Here are the nitty-gritty details of each method.
Table of Contents
- Using Your Gmail Account
- Using a Mobile App
- Using a Desktop App
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Benefits of Online Faxing
Using Your Gmail Account
One way to send a Google Docs fax is by using your Gmail account. To use this method, you need to make sure you’ve created both an email account through Google as well as signed up for an online faxing service like eFax. Online faxing allows you to have all the traditional benefits of faxing with added digital advantages in an affordable, easy-to-use, paperless tool. Once you have both accounts established, here are the steps for sending a fax:
- Create a new email message.
- For the recipient, simply use their fax number followed by @efaxsend.com. For U.S. fax numbers, use a “1” plus the area code and number with no spaces or dashes. International fax numbers require the country code, city code, and local fax number.
- Attach up to 10 files by clicking on the Google Drive icon. Your email body functions as your cover page.
- Click “send” to complete your Google Docs fax.
Using a Mobile App
In this fast-paced digital world, it’s likely that you’ll need to fax from Google Docs when you’re on the move. Forget about finding an office supply store or even working with your hotel’s business center to handle this task. By downloading the free eFax mobile app for Android and iOS, you can easily send faxes right from your mobile device, whether they are stored on your phone or in the cloud. It’s easy to even take a photo of a paper document with your phone and fax it on the go.
Here are the steps to send a Google Docs fax from your phone.
- Open your eFax app and log into your eFax account.
- Hit “compose fax” in the menu.
- Enter the recipient’s fax number or select the receiver from your contact list on the send form.
- Choose whether or not you want to include a cover page, and complete if desired.
- Add your attachment to the fax by finding it in your Google Drive. You can also take a picture of the document you want to send.
- Hit send once you’ve added all your attachments.
Using a Desktop App
When you have an account with an online faxing service like eFax, you can use its tools as if you were sending your Google Docs fax to a printer located at your recipient’s office. To fax from Google Docs on Windows computers only, use eFax Messenger, a Windows Desktop Fax software, and follow these simple steps.
- Open a document in your program of choice - such as Google Docs.
- Select the “file” menu to access the “print” option.
- When you see the print dialog box, simply select eFax Messenger as the printer.
- Choose “okay to print,” which will bring you to an eFax Messenger window.
- At this point, add a cover page and any attachments you want to fax. You can choose to send or save your file as a draft.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I send a fax from Google Drive?
You can send a fax from Google Drive only if you sign up for an online faxing service like eFax. By using such an account, you have the option to send a fax from Gmail, from a mobile device, or through eFax Messenger.
Does Google have a fax app?
There is no way to directly fax from Google Drive. You must have an online faxing service to facilitate the process. eFax has a fax app for PC and a free mobile fax app.
How can I fax a document from my computer?
You can fax directly from your computer using an online faxing service like eFax. Skip the conventional steps of printing documents and sending them through a traditional fax machine. Online faxing provides many more features and benefits such as storage, local fax or toll-free fax numbers, and digital signatures.
Benefits of Online Faxing
Among all the different ways we can share information today, faxing will remain an important part of our business-to-business communication repertoire. Finding an affordable, efficient means to do so will help your company save both time and money as well as increase organization, security and storage. Here are some key benefits of using an online faxing service:
- Easy-to-use. Simply sign up for an online faxing service, and you can easily send faxes from anywhere. Eliminate the need for a fax machine, paper, and toner.
- Environmentally friendly. You’ll no longer need to use paper and ink to send faxes. With an online faxing service, you don’t need to print documents to send them through a fax machine, only to be printed on the recipient’s end again. Just send the digital document easily and securely.
- Reduce clutter. Eliminate the need for a large fax machine in your home office or in a common area in a larger business complex.
- Grows with your business. Whether you’re a small start-up or a huge corporation, online faxing can easily scale and grow with your organization. Most online fax services charge a single rate for a high number of, or even unlimited, faxes. Add as many employees and locations to your plan as needed.
- Lower operational costs. An online faxing service subscription is much less expensive than purchasing fax equipment and supplies and paying for a phone line.
- Fast start-up. If you and your team know how to use email, you can easily fax from Google Docs. The interface is user friendly and intuitive, which means a rapid ramp up and small learning curve. In addition, you don’t need to install new equipment, software or phone lines.
- Reliable. By using an online faxing service, you eliminate time-wasters such as paper jams and phone line issues.
- Improve productivity. Embracing new, affordable technologies that make your business run more smoothly helps fine-tune your competitive advantage by holding down costs and increasing efficiency, which means a direct impact to your bottom line.