How to Fax from a Printer: Canon Devices
Tuesday, December 14, 2021
If your printer has faxing capabilities, you can use it for faxing purposes in multiple ways.
However, even if your device doesn't come with any fax tools or features, there are plenty of online resources (such as the ones that eFax offers) that will still allow you to send and receive faxes using your Canon printer. Some of them are cheaper and more convenient than the typical fax machine.
How to Fax Using a Canon Printer
You can use your Canon printer to send and receive fax in several ways. First, you’ll want to check whether your printer has faxing capabilities. If it does, you could either send a fax from your printer or computer.
The simplest and easiest option is to fax from your Canon printer by taking advantage of online faxing services like the ones that eFax provides. In fact, you can rely on this method even when your Canon printer doesn't have faxing capabilities.
However, here are your options for sending and receiving faxes through a Canon printer that has faxing tools. Before you follow any of these steps, make sure that your printer is connected to a phone line.
How to Send a Fax on a Canon Printer
- Put the papers that you want to fax in the document feeder.
- Press the fax button on your printer's screen and enter the receiver's fax number.
- Choose whether you want to send the documents in color or black and white. After that, the document feeder will scan and send your fax.
How to Receive Fax on a Canon Printer
- Hit the fax button on your printer's screen and make sure that the receive mode is turned on.
- Update the settings and decide if you want your phone to ring whenever you receive a fax or prefer that the Canon device automatically prints out the documents.
- If your phone rings and you hear fax sounds, wait for 5 seconds or more before hanging up. After that, your Canon printer will start printing your incoming faxes.
Keep in mind that each Canon printer model has its own fax settings. Therefore, you should check your device's user manual before you start sending and receiving faxes.
While you can fax with a printer if you have a fax-enabled model, another option is to use an online fax service, such as eFax. The main advantage to this is that the faxing instructions are straightforward and the same, regardless of which Canon printer model you have.
How do I Set Up my Canon Printer to Fax Through an Online Faxing Service?
With eFax, you can send and receive faxes with a Canon printer even if it doesn't have faxing capabilities.
Just as importantly, eFax's tools allow you to set up your Canon printer to fax without needing a phone line.
You can also send and receive faxes from your desktop or smartphone as long as you have an internet connection. In other words, you can fax while you're running errands, dining out, or from the comfort of your home.
How to Fax Something from a Canon Printer Online
After you create an eFax account, all you have to do is follow these simple and easy steps on a laptop or desktop computer to send a fax with your Canon printer:
- Login to your eFax MyAccount dashboard by going to: efax.com/myaccount/login.
- Click on 'Send Faxes' and enter the recipient's information, including their name and fax number. After that, you may add more than one recipient by repeating this step.
- Attach the documents that you want to send and type in your cover letter in the designated section. You could scan a document on your Canon printer, attach files directly from your computer, or simply upload pictures of the pages that you want to fax.
Receiving a fax online is just as easy and convenient. On your MyAccount dashboard, you can view your fax inbox and download attachments. One of the main benefits that comes with your eFax account is the fax storage that you can enjoy.
Once someone sends you a fax message, you will get an email notification with the attached documents.
How Do I Fax from My Canon Printer via Email?
eFax users can also send faxes from their email by following these steps on their laptop/desktop or smartphone device:
- Open a new message and enter the recipient's phone number followed by '@efaxsend.com'. For example, [email protected]
- Add the files that you want to fax as email attachments (you may pick up to 200 files) and type your cover letter in the message body. Similarly, you could scan them to your computer from a Canon printer or take pictures of the documents.
- Press the send button, just as you would with any other email.
If you want to receive faxes on your email, you can enable this setting from your MyAccount dashboard and choose your preferred email address. After that, eFax will email you a notification whenever you get a new fax, alongside the received documents as attachments.
How to Fax with a Canon Printer from a Smartphone
These steps will allow you to send and receive faxes on your Android or iOS device:
- Download the eFax app, login, and hit the button that has the pencil icon.
- Enter the recipient's details (name, phone number, ...etc.).
- Type your cover letter if you want to include one and attach the files that you will send. You may scan the documents on your Canon printer and upload them or take pictures with your phone’s camera.
Once you press the send button, your fax will be on its way. In the same vein, you can view your incoming faxes on your smartphone by opening the eFax app or checking your email inbox.
The Benefits of Having an eFax Account
In short, eFax allows you send and receive faxes using your Canon device - including ones that don't have faxing capabilities or a phone line connection.
To further illustrate the advantages of relying on eFax's online faxing services, consider these great features and benefits:
- Cost Savings: With an eFax account, you can send and receive faxes without having to pay for a landline, printing supplies, or even a printer with fax capabilities.
- Online Fax Storage: You can store as many faxes as you’d like as long as your eFax account remains active.
- Toll-free and Local Fax Numbers: You may choose between a toll-free fax number and a local one. Both of them are free.
- Compatibility: Whether you want to send faxes via Gmail, Office 365, Yahoo Mail, or another emailing platform, eFax's features are compatible with all of them. You can also store your faxes and documents on several cloud platforms.
- Convenience: Send and receive faxes from almost any device and from anywhere with an internet connection.
These advantages make eFax an ideal solution for businesses and individuals who are looking to fax from a Canon printer, but without all the attached strings. In fact, you don't even need a fax machine or printer to send and receive faxes through eFax.
Above all, eFax has plans that are suitable for both personal and professional use.