You don’t necessarily need a dedicated fax machine to be able to send and receive faxes. Learning how to fax from a printer is a quick and painless process that can come in handy when you don’t have access to traditional fax equipment.
Depending on the equipment you have, there are a few different ways to fax from a printer — even if you don’t have a phone line.
Read on to learn how to fax from a printer, whether or not your equipment has fax capabilities, and how an online fax service might be the ideal alternative to traditional faxing solutions.
Table of Contents
Does Your Printer Have Fax Capabilities?
Before getting started, it’s important to check if your printer has fax capabilities.
The quickest and easiest way to check is to see if your multifunction printer has a “fax” button located somewhere on it. Typically, it will be located near the scanner.
Alternatively, if your printer has a telephone jack located on it, that means you can connect a phone line to the printer. Once the phone line is connected, you are ready to send and receive faxes.
Lastly, some multifunction printers do not include fax capabilities but can be equipped with a fax kit to add these capabilities. Check your printer’s product information to see if this applies, and if so, contact an office equipment supplier to find the right fax kit for your machine.
How to Fax From a Printer
If your printer does have fax capabilities, there are a couple of different methods you can use to send faxes: either by using the print driver or by using the document feeder.
Use the Document Feeder
Once your printer is connected to the phone line, follow these steps to send a fax:
- Put the document you want to fax into the document feeder
- Enter the recipient’s fax number
- Press Send
After pressing send, the printer will attempt to connect to the recipient’s fax machine. Once this connection is made, the fax will be delivered, and you should receive a confirmation page that includes information such as the time and date that the fax was sent and the number of pages transmitted.
Use the Print Driver
Alternatively, you can use your machine’s print driver to send a fax. Follow these simple steps to do so:
- Open the document you want to fax
- Hit Ctrl + P on your keyboard or select Print under the File drop down menu
- Select Fax as the print driver
- Enter the recipient’s fax number in the provided fields
- Press Send
Once you press send, your printer will relay the fax to the recipient’s fax machine. Again, you should receive a confirmation that your fax has been successfully delivered.
How to Receive a Fax With a Printer
As long as your printer is turned on and connected to a phone line, it should automatically receive and print any faxes sent to it.
Many multifunction and corporate-level printers also include inbuilt memory, meaning if the printer is out of ink or paper, the fax will be saved to be printed at a later time.
How to Fax With an Online Fax Service
Not all printers are able to send and receive faxes. Even if you do have a fax-enabled printer, you may still not be able to send faxes if you don’t have access to a phone line.
In these cases, online fax services like eFax offer a more convenient and reliable alternative to faxing from a printer or a traditional fax machine.
With an eFax subscription, users can send faxes via three quick and intuitive methods: by using eFax online, faxing via email, or by eFax Messenger.
How to Fax with eFax Online
Using eFax online to send faxes couldn’t be easier: simply create a new message, type your message subject and body, attach your files to fax, then hit Send.
To send a fax using eFax, follow these simple steps:
- Sign in to you eFax account
- Find and click Send Faxes
- In the new window, type in the recipient’s Name and Company or select a recipient from your contacts
- Next, go to Select Fax-To Country and choose your recipient’s location
- Enter your recipient’s Fax Number if you didn’t choose someone from your contacts
- Select Include Cover Page and enter a subject and body
- Click Browse to select the documents you want to attach, then select OK
- Go to Select Quality List and choose a resolution for your fax
- Select Send Faxes
As long as you have access to an internet-enabled device, eFax online lets you quickly send faxes from any location and at any time.
How to Fax by Email
Lastly, eFax lets users send faxes via email without even needing to download any software or log into your eFax online account.
To send a fax via email, follow these easy steps:
- Create a new email message
- Enter the recipient's fax number followed by @efaxsend.com in the To field
- For example, to send to the fax number +1 222 333 4444, enter email@example.com. Make sure to include the complete destination fax number for international faxes (country codes can be found here)
- Attach up to 10 files to fax
- To include a cover page with your fax, type the text in the body of the email message or choose from a selection of fax cover page templates.
- Click Send
After following these five steps, eFax will automatically convert your email into a fax and deliver it to the recipient.
How to Fax via eFax Messenger
To fax with eFax Messenger, a print to fax driver, you’ll first need to download the eFax Messenger software on your computer.
Once done, you’ll need to print a document to Messenger by following these steps:
- Open a document that you want to fax
- In the File menu, select Print
- Select eFax Messenger as the printer
- Click OK or Print. The file should now appear in the eFax Messenger window
Next, follow these steps to send your fax:
- Click New Fax
- Enter the recipient’s information in the Create window by typing the recipient’s fax number in the To field or choosing a contact from your Address Book
- Select Send Copy to Me if you want to receive a copy of the fax.
- Enter the Subject and an Attention name for the fax
- To add another page, click the Add New Page (+) button in the sidebar. There are three options for creating new fax pages:
- Blank Page - Adds a blank page
- Cover Page - Adds a preformatted cover page
- Import File - Adds an image or PDF file
- To add other types of documents, click Attach file and select the file to upload
- Click Send Fax
eFax Messenger offers a quick and effective solution for sending faxes without requiring any expensive equipment or supplies.
Sending a fax from a printer can be a convenient option for those who need to send the occasional fax but don’t have access to standard faxing equipment.
However, for those who don’t have a fax-enabled printer or are looking to cut equipment costs, eFax offers a number of great features and benefits, including:
- Lifetime Storage: Securely store your faxes online as long as your account is active.
- eSign capabilities: Sign faxes digitally so that important documents can be returned in a timely manner.
- Toll-free fax number: eFax offers toll-free fax numbers to all users that allow customers to contact you for free from anywhere.
- Local fax numbers: eFax users also receive local fax numbers to make it easier to communicate with local customers.
- Cost Savings: Installation, maintenance, and monthly supplies can be quite costly in the long run. Online fax services are available for a cheap monthly subscription and don’t require you to pay for equipment installations, maintenance, or supplies.
- Cloud storage compatibility: eFax allows you to access documents from several popular cloud storage platforms, making it easy to send important documents from anywhere.
These advantages make eFax the premier online fax service available and the ideal choice for businesses and individuals in search of a modern faxing solution.
Do you need a phone line to fax from a printer?
If you want to send a fax from a printer without using any third-party services, then yes, you do need a phone line.
However, if you are not able to connect a phone line to your printer, you can use an online fax service like eFax to send and receive faxes from a wireless printer without using a phone line.
Can you fax from a wireless printer without a phone line?
Yes, by creating an eFax account, you can wirelessly print your documents to eFax Messenger and send them from a separate device.
How do I get a fax number for a printer?
Your fax number is the phone number of the phone line attached to your printer. If you’re not sure what your fax number is, call 1-800-444-4444, a toll-free line operated by MCI, to find out.
Alternatively, if you don’t have a phone line, you can get toll-free and local fax numbers by signing up for eFax.
By using an online fax service like eFax, you can boost productivity and cut costs without dealing with any outdated, complex, or costly equipment.
To see for yourself why eFax is the best faxing solution available, sign up