To some, faxing might seem like an outdated form of communication. However, countless individuals, small businesses, and larger companies rely on faxing to send, receive, sign, and edit important documents.
From sending invoices to signing and returning contracts, the ability to quickly and easily send faxes is crucial for any business.
No matter what type of Mac you have, there are several methods you can use to quickly and easily send and receive faxes — even without a phone line.
By using built-in hardware or a full-featured online fax service, you can fax from a Mac without having to pay for costly equipment or deal with hard-to-use software.
Continue reading to learn how to send a fax from a Mac and how using an online fax service can benefit you.
Table of Contents
How to Send a Fax From a Mac: Use an Online Fax Service
While using your Mac’s built-in equipment can be a good option in some situations, most individuals and small businesses stand to benefit more from using a full-featured online fax service.
Online fax services can help cut costs, improve productivity, and boost efficiency by offering a variety of useful tools and features. One of the best online fax services is eFax, with nearly 10 million customers worldwide and over 20 years of providing electronic faxing.
Using eFax, you can easily receive and send faxes wirelessly from a Mac via email or your preferred web browser.
Fax From Your Browser
With eFax, you can send a fax from a Mac without needing any external fax machine or other equipment. Instead, you can log into your eFax account and send a fax right from your browser.
To send a fax using eFax, follow these simple steps:
- Log in to you eFax account
- Navigate to Send Faxes
- In the window that appears, choose a recipient from your contacts, or type in the recipient’s Name and Company
- Go to Select Fax-To Country and choose your recipient’s location
- Enter your recipient’s Fax Number if it isn’t someone from your contacts
- Select Include Cover Page and enter a subject and body
- To attach a file, click Browse, choose a document, and select OK
- Navigate to Select Quality List and choose a resolution for your fax
- Select Send Faxes
Fax by Email
You can also send a fax via email, making it easy to send important documents from wherever you are. Use any email service, like Gmail, Outlook or Yahoo. Follow these steps to do so:
Draft a new email
- Enter the recipient's fax number followed by @efaxsend.com in the To field
- Attach up to 10 files
- If you want to include a cover page, type the text in the body of the email message or choose from the collection of cover page templates.
- Hit Send
Once you send the email, eFax will convert it into a fax and deliver it to the intended recipient.
You can also send and receive faxes from your eFax number from up to five email accounts — perfect for businesses that want to share a business fax number among colleagues, or for individual professionals with multiple email addresses.
Using either of these methods, you can send faxes from any Mac or MacBook computer without having to purchase or set up any expensive and outdated equipment.
How to Send a Fax From a Mac: Use Built-In Hardware
You can also utilize built-in hardware to send faxes from a Mac. As long as your Mac has a phone line input built into it, you can use the computer’s built-in fax modem to send a fax without needing an external fax machine.
If your Mac does have this hardware built in, follow these steps to send a fax from nearly any application:
Plug the phone line into your Mac
- Open the document that you want to send
- Select File at the top of the window, then click Print
- Click PDF at the bottom of the window, then select Fax PDF from the drop-down menu
- In the To field, enter the recipient’s fax number
- Click Use Cover Page and type in a subject line and message
- Select Fax
If you need to send a fax from a Mac in a pinch and don’t have access to standard equipment, you can use this method to get the job done with your Mac’s built-in hardware.
Keep in mind that, to send faxes with your Mac’s built-in hardware, you will also need an active landline. This will add another bill to your monthly expense list, and if you don’t have any phone line outlets, you may require someone to come out to set up your landline.
In order to avoid these additional costs and inconveniences, an online fax service is your best option.
Benefits of Using an Online Fax Service
Using your Mac’s built-in hardware to send faxes can work in a pinch; however, finding a Mac with a built-in phone line input can be quite difficult.
Moreover, online fax services like eFax offer several advantages that other methods simply can’t match.
These benefits include:
- Cost-savings: Online fax services save you the cost of a fax machine, paper, toner, a dedicated fax line, maintenance costs, etc.
- Convenience & Accessibility: With the ability to fax via email or mobile apps, online fax services allow users to send and receive faxes from anywhere. There’s also no need for a scanner to scan documents - you can use your phone to take pictures to fax.
- Safety: Keep your most important documents safe from falling into the wrong hands with secure lifetime storage. Additionally, eFax Enhanced Security encryption technology provides maximum security for all your important and confidential faxes.
- Ease of Use: No more struggling to get old, outdated equipment to work right. Online fax services allow you to simply upload and send documents right from your computer.
- Flexibility: eFax is compatible with Windows and Android devices as well as Apple devices, so you’ll still be able to send and receive faxes even if you don’t have access to your normal equipment.
- Fax Numbers: eFax offers toll-free and local fax numbers to help you expand your company’s reach and establish credibility, giving you the ability to not only fax but also receive faxes.
Ultimately, if you’re looking for a way to send faxes from a Mac, online fax services are a cost-effective and productive alternative to more traditional options.
How can I send and receive a fax from my MacBook?
If you don’t have access to an iMac or other desktop computer, you can use an online fax service, like eFax, to send and receive faxes from a MacBook.
You can use the same steps listed above to send faxes from a MacBook via the eFax website or email.
As long as you have access to an internet connection, you’ll be able to send and receive faxes without any additional equipment.
Can I fax from my Mac without a phone line?
Yes, if your Mac does not have a built-in phone line input, you can still send faxes using eFax.
Online fax services like eFax eliminate the need for standard faxing equipment. Instead, you can log into your eFax account on your browser to send a fax from a Mac without a phone line.
eFax makes it incredibly easy to send and receive faxes from anywhere using any device. To see for yourself how eFax can benefit your business, sign up today